Monday, September 15, 2014

What’s The Point? [first movement]

J. Downs & T-bone Howell at M15 in Corona, CA on 04.18.14
What’s the point? Why do I do what I do? Before the first day of the rest of my life, I very intentionally selected three words to describe my current, and possibly final, solo musical adventure.

Acoustic.
Genuine.
doWns.

The slightly expanded adaptation states: Acoustic (mostly). Genuine(ly real & fun). doWns (is for you).
Those three ideas, simply put, ARE the point. In this first movement, I will address the first point: Acoustic (mostly). The decision to write acoustic-driven music stems from a few things.

First, I have always been about having a band. I have tried, especially in the last 10 years, to focus on the collaborative effort. I do not know if it’s something specifically about me, but it has been difficult to find folks that are loyal to the bands I have led. I have watched SO many musicians come and go on my projects. What happens when you are writing collaboratively and people leave, then new people arrive? The new people aren’t as “bought in” as their predecessors. Basically, it’s hard to keep everyone on the same page. That can be quite tiresome for all involved parties. So, the thrust this time around is to write, arrange, and perform my own songs. Not because I’m selfish but because it allows me continuity. Regardless of who comes or goes, I can always sing, play my guitar/uke, and foot percussion.

Next, using acoustic instruments enables the solo artist to more easily convey their music, whether it’s guitar, ukulele, mandolin, percussion, piano and so on. Many acoustic instruments are portable which opens up a variety of venues in which you can present your music.
You want me to perform in your living room? Sure!
Come play in the break room for lunch break? Awesome!
Do not get me wrong. In many settings these instrument need to be amplified to reach a larger audience, which is why I state: Acoustic (mostly).

Finally, there is a beautiful metaphor of nakedness for me in the use of acoustic instrumentation. I have spent years hiding behind the loud sounds of a ska band. I've hidden my real voice, my real feelings. Writing acoustic-driven music has forced me to strip away my insecurity and lay myself bare before the audience. Even if I utilize a band now, I am still exposed. I am learning to be comfortable and confident in my talents. More than just that, I am learning to accept myself for who I am and what I have to offer.
D.S. al Coda (to be continued…)

photo used with permission from Rachel K So Photography, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment