Sunday, July 9, 2017

What's The Point [movement 3]

Acoustic.
Genuine.
doWns.

Three simple words describe why I do what I do. And nearly three years after I shared the first movement of this series, it finally comes to a conclusion. In this wrap-up, I will share about the third, and final, descriptor: doWns (is for you)!

So far, I have written much about myself. Makes sense; they do say write about what you know. Haha! I have spent MUCH time over the past 5 years on a journey of self-rediscovery. The privilege of writing songs and blogs about the journey has been therapeutic, to say the least. I’ve discussed music, comic books, and my journey. These are all things many of us can relate to. As I’ve mentioned previously, “I only write songs that reflect my journey.” Well, friends, we’re all on a journey…

doWns is for you! We have all experienced trials, hardships, and rainy days. We have all enjoyed peace, happiness, and sunshine. You may be walking through a dark valley as you read this, or maybe this is your mountain top. Wherever you are, you are definitely not alone. I’ve been there. Listen to my song All Is Calm; you’ll understand that I understand. In the wise words of Butt-Head, “It’s like, you gotta have stuff that sucks…so you can have stuff that’s cool.” So remember: without the valleys, we wouldn’t appreciate the mountain tops!

doWns is for you! Or even better, borrowing from a certain genetically altered raccoon’s “houseplant”: We are doWns. Whether it’s at a show, via social media, a podcast, or a phone call, it’s my desire to connect with each and every one of you. I know that I’m not the only that is going through what I am going through (or have been through), and I’m smart enough to realize that someone else is going through something I may encounter in the future. I want to learn from you. Grow with you. Overcome adversity with you. See, something amazing can happen in the valleys. If you’re willing to let life suck, and if you can muster the strength to withstand the beatings life sometimes brings, when you finally climb out of the valley to stand atop the mountain, you find yourself a better, stronger version of you. The valley is where life tempers you. Like a sword being forged; heated to malleability, and beaten into shape. That's you. That’s me. That’s doWns.

Let the music I make resonate with your journey. Feel free to share the stories from your journey. Let me write your song. Let’s make music together. Take my hand. Stand in love with me.

We…are…doWns!

Fin.

No comments:

Post a Comment